Educational leave (Bildungsurlaub)

Berlin Buzzwords attendees who work for a Berlin, Brandenburg, Rhineland-Palatinate-based company, or are based in Saarland, can request educational leave from their employer. Check out this page for more information.


Applicants are required to be employed in Berlin, Brandenburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, or Saarland and having a connection to a Big Data field wouldn't hurt either :)
It is important to note that it is your job location that is decisive and not where you live.


(Please note that all the documents regarding educational leave are only provided in German)

What documents do I need?

  • a confirmation of the educational status for Berlin Buzzwords ("Anerkennung von Bildungsveranstaltung" - attached at the bottom of this page)
  • an application form ("Bewerbungsunterlagen")
  • a filled-out application letter (feel free to use our mock up "Antrag_ Anerkennung")

What's the next step?

Once you have filled-out the application form and have a confirmation in hand you should contact your employer as well as the relevant educational authority to apply for your educational leave. You will need a reference number from your employment or education authority. Check out this link provided by the city of Berlin.

As a conference participant, your application for exemption (from work) needs to be submitted to your employer at least six to eight weeks in advance, depending on your state: so be sure to get it ready by mid-April! We have attached a mock application at the bottom of this page. As event organisers, Berlin Buzzwords will provide you with a confirmation of registration. Of course you will also need an attendance certificate to present to your employer following the conference. No problem: just visit our info stand during the conference to get one!

If you have any more questions feel free to contact us at:

We are looking forward to seeing you in Berlin!

Photo: Gregor Fischer x Berlin Buzzwords, CC BY 3.0